Thoughts of a Feminist Theologian

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Identity and Idolatry

As I have been writing research proposals for Ph.D. programs, I have been reflecting on why I want to get a Ph.D. in theology, particularly concentrating in feminist theology. It seems that I am unable to separate how I view theology from my identity as a woman. Especially in the political climate in which we live, I have grown increasingly frustrated with people who are first and foremost American, and secondarily a Christian. I have no problem calling the church out in its idolatry and the ways in which it glorifies the red, white, and blue more than it glorifies God. However, in light of my current reflections, I began thinking: is the way in which I do theology idolatrous? Is my inability to separate my feminine perspective from the ways in which I perceive God making me equally as guilty as those who cannot separate their citizenship from their faith? From this struggle of conscience, I have come to conclude that my affinity for feminist theology is not idolatrous and differs from religious imperialism on several grounds.

The first, and most obvious, difference between my gender and my citizenship is that my gender cannot be changed. It is something inherent to who I am, rather than something that happened due to mere circumstance. Although I hold American citizenship, I could fairly easily change it, by moving and going through the necessary processes. Furthermore, in today's society, people tend to cling to their nation for promotion and protection--as a status symbol. However, in a society where women only earn 75% of what men make (and that's in America) and where globally women are traded, sold, abused, and mutilated, there is no status I am clinging to.

Another difference between theology done as a woman versus theology done as an American is the way in which each factor is applied. American evangelicals wave flags and sing, "God Bless America." It is about promoting an already advanced nation; making the empowered even more powerful. It is exclusive, in that anytime the church embraces nationalism, it automatically creates a restricting space that allows for little, if any, room for diversity. However, feminist theology isn't about the powerful becoming more powerful. It's about empowering the powerless (meaning those whom have been stripped of power and not meaning that women are somehow weak). It's about giving a voice to people who have been silenced. It is about representing those who have been ignored. In many cases, feminist theology is not even limited to the represenation of women--it extends beyond one's self. Rather, feminist theologians often recognize others who have been disenfranchised through traditional theology and seek to create a space for those people.

Considering all of this, I can put aside the fact that I am American. Yes, I live in America and have been afforded certain benefits because of that. However, the borders in which I live do not define who I am as a person. On the other hand, I cannot divorce the fact that I am a woman from how I view the world, and ultimately God. No matter what factors in my life change, I will forever be a woman. As a woman, I have certain experiences that I carry with me--experiences that are particular to me because I am a woman. Granted, even within the sisterhood of women, there are differences that separate us. This is the reason there are womanist and mujerista theologies. Yes, as a white woman I have a certain position of privilege that other women have been denied. Yet, as a theologian, I am not trying to promote myself or other white women. I am trying to represent women of all backgrounds--women who have been silenced or ignored. I am not attempting to exclude others, specifically men, but rather I am trying to create a space where women and men can come together and recognize each other as equals. I am trying to create a space where issues are recognized, opinions are respected, and progress is made.

As I do theology as a woman, I do not ask for any special blessing from God, through an anthem or through a prayer. Grace has already been given to me in Christ Jesus, and I am owed nothing more. Perhaps if my attitude were different and my objectives were different while pursuing feminst theology then I would be guilty of idolatry. However, I recognize that I am a woman only insofar as that is who my Creator determined me to be. Through realizing this, I am able to remember that in God is my identity and in God lies my ultimate allegiance.

| |