Thoughts of a Feminist Theologian

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

Welcome to my new niche on the world wide web. And now, a few introductory remarks:

Who am I? I am a 25-year-old woman with academic degrees in youth ministry and religion. My academic pursuits, along with certain life experiences, have led me to identify myself as a feminist theologian. The title of theologian might seem a bit pretentious, but as one who does/thinks about/discusses theology, there is no other word. My religious background is that of the Church of the Nazarene--a Wesleyan holiness denomination. Over the past two years, I have not been attending a Nazarene church. I have worked at a United Church of Christ, and then, I attended a Presbyterian Church (PCUSA). Since moving to Oklahoma, I have faced the ever-frustrating task of finding a church--a search in which I have grown weary.

Why this site? I have a few different blogs, but spouting off my latest theological notion isn't really appealing for many readers-at-large. I want a place to write and a place to invite others to discuss the ideas presented here. In time, if I develop a solid readership base, I might invite others to become authors on this site.

Why feminist theology? For centuries, women have been denied a voice in theology and in the church. Some do not believe that a woman-centered theology is necessary. However, as a woman who educated and who holds membership in a denomination that allows women to have a voice, I feel an overwhelming sense of obligation to speak for those who have been silenced. Many of the ideas in traditional Christian theology leave little, if any space, for women. I don't attribute this to the way God intended it to be, but rather the writers and thinkers who fashioned theological dogmas were men, and the societies to which they wrote were very patriarchal. Through feminist theology, we can call into question the traditions that have developed and examine who God is, who we are created to be, and how we are to live in relation with our Creator and one another.

What should I expect from this site? You should expect both anything and nothing. Nothing is too far-fetched for me to write about or consider here. Let me warn you that there may things that seem downright heretical to you. The things I write here are not my final thoughts on certain issues, but rather ideas I am grappling with. At the same time, by expecting nothing, we are able to not limit the outcome of this site by forming it to our own expectations.

Finally, let me ask that all discussion take place in a spirit of love and respect. You may or may not agree with me. However, the foundation of all discussion is done in this context: to love God with our hearts, minds, souls, and strength; and to love our neighbors as ourself.

| |